Thursday, April 17, 2008

Realtors® put their pants on…

…just like everyone else, one leg at a time!

There is definitely a perception and an assumption about realtors® in our society. But then we do that with a lot of professions (lawyers, doctors, et al). There are realtors®, in some eyes, that are elevated to some top levels and there are others that are denigrated to the lowest rungs on the totem pole, so to speak.

There is the perception that what we do is a simple task and that we make way too much money. But, of course, it is not known by most what it costs us to perform the duties that are necessary to be successful. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median income for a licensed real estate sale agent is under $40K a year. In fact, if you’d like to know about what it takes to be a realtor®, follow this link to their site http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos120.htm. It’s quite informative.

As with every profession, we have all degrees of capacity. Just as with any profession, there are better and then some that are just not up to par. But do those professions acquire the stigma of those with lesser ability as does the real estate profession? I think not, or at least not to the degree that the general public places on my chosen profession.

A realtor®, a true realtor® if there is such a term, is not out there to sell homes. This person is there trying to help people achieve a goal - achieve a dream in many instances. We could be talking about the first-time home buyer; someone who’s looking at upward mobility; even those that have been through life and have decided that it time to make a change and maybe downsize. But they have a goal and it is our job to help them achieve this goal in the best and easiest possible fashion.

The following is my mission statement: In working with a Seller - to sell their property for more money net to them in less time with minimal inconvenience to their lifestyle. In working with a Buyer - to assist them in purchasing a property within their prescribed parameters with the experience being comfortable, exciting and fun for all those involved. In fact my vision statement reads: To make a difference to everyone I work with on a daily basis by adding value and quality to their lives through my knowledge, expertise and service.

Now, this may seem corny and canned to some, but to me it is not. It is the essence of what I bring to the table. It is me! Forgive me, for this is not being written as a self-promotion of myself. I am not that egotistical, but there does need to be a change in attitude towards realtors®. Additionally, this should not be perceived as a rant. Moreso, I would prefer this to be considered somewhat of an education.

Perceptions and assumptions are found throughout our society. It unfortunately is what drives too many people. I can only gather to a point, that it is human nature of sorts because so many do it so often. Yes, we do perceive things – we do have perceptions of things, we do have assumptions of certain people and industries. But when you look at the whole picture, there should be no reason for this.

I saw a therapist once and he posed a question to me asking if I would be concerned about a person (maybe a little disheveled) coming towards me from the opposite direction. My answer to him is what did that person do that should provoke that reaction in me. No, I am surely not a polyanna, but why? Has that person given me any reason to feel that way? If not, then why should I have that perception?

There’s the old saying that you can a book by its cover. We’ve all seen in our careers how often this can be untrue. I’ve encountered people looking like schleps; and yet, they could buy and sell me.

What is a perception? It is cognitive recognition utilizing the senses. But it is not fact.

What is an assumption? It means to take for granted without proof.

Can you see how dangerous these two concepts can be?

Someone told me a long time ago that the word ‘assume’ is made out of three words and as you look at it you might see them. Obviously, I’m not going to decipher it right here. But the fact of the matter is. An assumption is a presupposition based on usually very little if any facts whatsoever. And that is the issue right there. If you had all of the facts, then you would have a clear definition.

Over 85% of all real estate transactions were performed with the use of a realtor®. So why does the general public still try to denigrate this profession? Look at the numbers, we must be doing something correct.

Your realtor® is a human being, with feelings and emotions like yourself. They have lived through trials and tribulations – just like you! They are no different than you, except for their chosen career, which requires constant education to the changing laws, contracts, market, economy, interest rates… Do I need to go on? A realtor® stands by a strict Code of Ethics. Much more than most can surmise.

I won’t say that they deserve your respect, but they surely earn it day in and day out. Respect as with anything else is a two-way street. If you give it, it will come back to you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well written post. May I suggest you contribute your thoughts and skills to Real Estate Wiki. The goal is to create a national, free resource and your contributions would be an asset to the wiki.

Anonymous said...

This blog really consists of a very valuable information for the people how are interested in real estate. I will be waiting for more new posts about this topic..