Monday, April 9, 2007

BEWARE – Deed Scam

Recently, I received a letter in the mail. I was pretty sure it was junk mail immediately, but opened this one up. Inside, I was told that I needed a Certified Deed for my home. I knew right away that this was bs, but had to read on out of curiosity. I was being asked to spend an amount, which I can’t remember. I’m pretty sure that the amount was enough for some unsuspecting people to think that this was legitimate need, yet not too much for them to question the validity. The letter went on to say that you need this to protect your interest in your home, etc.

This is a waste of money. When you purchased your home, you received a Deed and this was recorded in the county in which your home is located. You would have received back from either the closing agent or title company this recorded deed, which you should have placed in a very safe place & hopefully a bank vault. Even if you can’t find this document, it is easy enough to contact your local Official Records office & get a certified copy for just a few dollars.

I feel bad because I know that there are a number of unsuspecting people out there that will get sucked into this scam. I know this is not a scam in that it is harmful to people, but it is a scam nevertheless and should be treated as such.

Until next time – Marc It Sold!

No comments: