Monday, September 10, 2007

So You Don't Think It Matters!

On this day in history...

Jews who survived a massacre in Constance Germany are burned to death in 1349.

George Washington asked for a spy volunteer, Nathan Hale volunteered in 1776.

The rickshaw was invented in Japan in 1846.

The sewing machine is patented by Elias Howe in 1846.

Lincoln Highway opened as 1st paved coast-to-coast highway in 1913.

Canada declared war on Germany in 1939.

Swanson sold it's 1st "TV dinner" in 1953.

U. S. Naval Sea Cadet Corps was incorporated in 1962.

Today is also Suicide Prevention Day. According to the National Mental Health Information Center, "Every 17 minutes someone in America commits suicide, and for every completed suicide, there are approximately 25 attempts. According to the National Center for Health Statistics, suicide is currently the eighth leading cause of death in the United States."

I apologize if I've upset anyone by this, but this is unfortunately something that we ignore until it is usually unfortunately too late. Interestingly enough, it also ties in with my blog item today. Please read on...


So You Don't Think It Matters!

Yes, the title is a little obscure and what brought me to write this little story is an experience that has occurred to me recently and I wanted to share that with you, my readers.

Unfortunately, I've been dealing with a situation and have been in Memphis more than my home in the Orlando area. A lot of my time here is spent in the hospital. Each day I need to go to the information desk and get a Visitor's Pass for the day. Now, my first visit here was on 8/11 and I would do this for the next 10 days.

What's interesting and quite amazing to me still, is that when I returned 9 days later, several of the people at the front desk remembered either my name and/or the patient's name. I was amazed at this. How could this person who greets, at the least, hundreds of people a day remember me? And it was more than one person too. I do not consider myself a striking individual. Yes, I was always kind to these people and wished them a nice day as I was leaving their desk.

So, I had to wonder, what kind of impression we leave on people. It's obvious that we leave an impression on people when we least expect it or at least unwittingly. It just amazed me the power that we have in altering someone's day.

A simple smile generally makes the other person seeing that smile do the same. Kindness and courteousness also go a very long way. I was just thinking about what I'm going to write and it rang through my head that I've stated this before. Please do not get me wrong, I am not looking to turn back time. Wait, I take that back, in my brother's case I would love to, so therefore he might not be in a trauma unit.

But again, we tend to forget the little things because we are so busy. Too many people find themselves rushing from one place to another. Yes, I know that we all have so much to accomplish, but we do need to take a moment to reflect and remember the little things. For they all make up the greater of all. The little things are just as powerful if not moreso in many ways. I recently published my newsletter, but unfortunately do not have the article on disk that I wrote. It's about remembering. I will post that again when I return home. I didn't think of it as a post at that time, but I think it is something that is pertinent to our lives and living.

Interestingly enough, I couldn't finish this post before it was time to go to the hospital. The young lady giving out passes questioned me about my brother's room since he had to go back to the ICU from the Step-Down unit and she remembered that.

It just goes to show that the mind is such a powerful thing & the impressions that we leave upon others is very powerful in itself.

Wishing all a safe & kind day.

Til next time...Marc It Sold!

No comments: